List:       php-gtk-general
Subject:    Re: [PHP-GTK] Setting the height of a GtkText object?
From:       "Steph" <Steph.Fox () btinternet ! com>
Date:       2002-01-28 1:57:54

Don't know how helpful this is, but I've found that the default win32 text is a 16 \
pixel text and that the lines thereof are all 16 pixels high.  If you don't want the \
default use GtkFontSelectionDialog('needs label but no window') which will give you \
the terms you need to set a font using gdk::font_set(), to the letter and by \
pixel-size if you ask it nicely.  If you leave the text widget to set its own default \
size it will give you 10 lines.  If you don't, you'll need to set_usize() on the \
parent window.. NOT anything between, it has to be the object at the bottom *or* the \
object at the top or the packing hierarchy that has usize set.

Boxes are pretty well covered in the PHP-GTK docs for sizing issues now.  If the \
window holding the box is usized, that sorts out the problem, taken in tandem with \
the box packings.

A GtkScrolledWindow is either the child of a window or of a box container.  Same \
applies.

Think of those Russian dolls with a smaller doll inside, and a smaller doll inside, \
and a smaller doll inside ...  it's a bit like that.  If the outer doll's too big the \
whole thing rattles, if it's too small the idea doesn't work.  They have to be sized \
to fit one another, and that sizing rule can be from either end, by asking the \
toplevel window (big doll) to fit around whatever it holds or by asking the smallest \
of the contained objects (peas) to expand to fit to the set size of the ancestors.

HTH, or even makes sense -
Steph