List:       php-general
Subject:    [PHP3] Database Design
From:       "Dean, John" <DEANJX () mail ! aramco ! com ! sa>
Date:       1999-12-05 12:47:03

I have a small point that I hope will prompt an active discussion, yet
again. For this example let'd take a look at the Product Orders tables in a
Shopping Cart application. Both Products and Orders have contain IDs but a
single Order can contain many products so how do we achieve uniqueness.
There is a one-to-one reverse association but a one-to-many forward
association. Once you sorted out this problem the next problem is in which
table should the Order Quality be placed. I know the answers to these
problems, what I am leading upto is the necessity for good database design
could save a lot of problems especially if the user is thinking of setting
up an e-commerce site which could lead to legal problems if thing don't
work.
I hope this provokes a good discussion. It is not intended as negative
critisism to those guys who have worked hard at producing OpenSource
Shopping Cart Applications. It intended to help and promote a good design
philosophy
Best Regards
John Dean