List:       php-general
Subject:    Re: [PHP] Re: Where am I ... Take 2
From:       Lester Caine <lester () lsces ! co ! uk>
Date:       2014-07-29 6:05:14

On 29/07/14 04:33, Andrew Ballard wrote:
>> All *I* want to do is identify which Reception Desk or Interview Room a
>> > user is located at without having to rely on their selecting the right
>> > one from a list of perhaps 60 ... One does wonder at times if people
>> > even think things through at all?
> Yeah, that's not really part of the VMware idea as far as I've seen. I
> have a persistent desktop, and the beauty for me is I can start
> working on the computer in my office, close the window and pull it up
> on a computer in a lab down the hall, walk to another building and
> pull it up on my laptop, etc. and continue working. For that matter, I
> could even pull it up on my phone if I'm glutton for the punishment of
> working on a small screen. Some of our users get non-persistent
> desktops where they get a fresh machine every time they log in.

The persistent desktop does not have anything to do with simply
providing key data. If it was on an Android device we would be hassled
all the time to switch the GPS back on :) That the system is hamstrung
by the a bad choice in desktop OS which does not allow critical element
by default is the main problem, but for most of the desktops I'm working
with, the thin client machines only needs to have a good stable browser
and everything else runs on PHP. Your phone gets a view more suited to
the small screen, and you can log in from anywhere. The latest problem
on site is that after a recent update all machines are
'WIN7ENTX86V4.xxx' so you can't even distinguish two adjacent desks :( I
get the principle, its the implementation that seems to be badly
implemented.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL