List:       php-general
Subject:    Re: [PHP] sms class
From:       Lester Caine <lester () lsces ! co ! uk>
Date:       2012-04-19 19:04:54

Matijn Woudt wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM, Matijn Woudt<tijnema@gmail.com>  wrote:

> > > I have the phone already configured, but it requires a SIM card that ALLOWS
> > > sending messages via the data port. All UK SIM's are locked to only work
> > > from the phone itself :( This service IS available in other countries which
> > > is where the data came from ...
> > >

> > That's why I said, hack an android phone. You can simulate it is send
> > by the phone itself with enough programming skills.
> >
> > Matijn
>
> Thinking again about this, Android does already support it out of the
> box. (See [1]).
>
> You could also try one of these:
> DesktopSMS, EasySMS, RemoteSMS, Droid Messenger, MightyText, BrowserTexting
>

> - Matijn
>
> [1] http://developer.android.com/reference/android/telephony/SmsManager.html#sendTextMessage(java.lang.String,
>  java.lang.String, java.lang.String, android.app.PendingIntent,
> android.app.PendingIntent)

THAT is more or less what I currently have. The SIM security basically prevents
it from working simply because you are bypassing the authentication process.
I've wasted a lot of time on this to date. I can quite happily push messages
into the phone, but it refuses to forward them on. Ideally I want to use the
mobile phone approach since SMS messages CAN get through where we can't get web
access, so the mobile patrols can report position back to the main web service,
but at the moment we have to have a body on the other end of a phone to manually
complete the loop - so over night it does not happen :( All the talk about about
'faster mobile internet access' is just a pipe dream around here. You may need
to stand on the roof of the car to even get the phone to work ;) We've had to
install private wireless links in places and adding data to THAT is another
complete rip-off!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL