List:       php-general
Subject:    [PHP] php - mysql tandem and multi core performance
From:       Giulio Mastrosanti <giulio () cantoberon ! it>
Date:       2010-09-28 8:26:18

Hi all,
I have to setup a new dedicated server for my job,
it will need to host some mysql databases with php accessing them,
for a number of reasons it need to be a Windows server ( 2008 )

the amount of data will not be very great ( the biggest table will contain between \
100.000 and 200.000 rows ), but php will perform some complex, full-text queries to \
the databases.

now I have a couple of choices about server configuration:

1) Bi Xeon E5504 - it has 8 cores at 2.4 Ghz, with 24 GB RAM

2) Xeon i7 W3520 - it has 4 cores ar 2.66 Ghz with  12 GB RAM

obviously the second choice is quite cheaper than the first;

my question is:

on your experience, how do php / mySQL behave on multicores?

maybe its better a lesser_core / highest frequency system than a more_core / lower \
frequency?

can a 12 GB / 24 GB RAM configuration make the difference? in which terms?

thank you for your answer,

    Giulio

Giulio Mastrosanti
giulio@cantoberon.it