List:       php-general
Subject:    Re: [PHP] [RFC] HTTP timezone
From:       "Richard Lynch" <ceo () l-i-e ! com>
Date:       2007-06-11 22:28:37

On Mon, June 11, 2007 9:05 am, Stefanos Harhalakis wrote:
>   There is no need to include the DST information since when on DST
> the client
> will be sending the propper offset. For example, EET+2EEST is +0200
> during
> winter and +0300 during DST.

I think you are over-simplifying things too much...

I do not believe that users will be sending the correct offset during
DST.

Especially not during the actual change-over time/day.

And, of course, users living in/near areas that don't use DST will
probably have issues.

And you can just about write off any laptop users who travel.

I don't reset my clock on my laptop as I travel through each timezone,
or even if I'm staying somewhere for anything less than a couple
weeks.

So your server-side will be converting to a date-time which is pretty
irrelevant, really.

>   Hope this clears things a bit...
>
>   By the way, what makes you think that most people have an invalid
> timezone
> configured? Windows XP have NTP support that is enabled by default.

It's not that MOST people have improper timezone.

It's that ENOUGH people have improper timezone (and clock as well)
that you'll not be able to make this useful.

Now if you wanna write an RFC to just do away with DST completely,
sign me up! :-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?