List:       php-general
Subject:    Re: [PHP] [RFC] HTTP timezone
From:       Stefanos Harhalakis <v13 () priest ! com>
Date:       2007-06-11 16:51:00

On Monday 11 June 2007 18:15, Lester Caine wrote:
> calender of events over a change in daylight saving I NEED to know !!!

  I believe that I finally understand your thoughts. You mean that you need to
use the timezone information to know when in the future the time will change
(or in the past). I believe that you're correct.

  I assume that providing the current offset and the timezone as two separate
strings would be the most appropriate thing. The offset will provide
simplicity for simple applications. The timezone will provide full
information for applications that support it and the browser will not need to
do much work since both of them are immediately available (Just a sprintf()).

  What about something like:

Timezone: offset; posix_timezone

for example:

Timezone: +0200; EET-2EEST

?

> Correct, so people select the timezone that gives the right time, if the
> daylight saving switch is off. And then the calendar gives the wrong times
> when trying to display a weekend containing a daylight saving change. (
> THAT one wasted a few hours before we twigged what was wrong - since the
> clock was right :) )

  Your comments are of great importance to this attempt. I'll be glad if we
can come with a solution that will fit your experienced needs on this
subject. This may help other people too.