List:       php-general
Subject:    Re: [PHP] [RFC] HTTP timezone
From:       Lester Caine <lester () lsces ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-06-11 15:15:18

Stefanos Harhalakis wrote:
> On Monday 11 June 2007 16:05, Lester Caine wrote:
<SNIP - misses the point!!!>
>   Hope this clears things a bit...

As I actually USE a clients time offset, I know what the problem is. The DATA
is ALL stored as UTC time data, so it does not matter who enters it. It will
be stored without a time offset.
When building a calender of events, I need to know the clients daylight saving
time - since it is not available in the browser we have to handle it manually
anyway so the browser feed is always a waste of time since it simply does not
give you any USEFUL information. If I am building a calender of events over a
change in daylight saving I NEED to know !!!
Now it would be possible to ignore time zone and daylight saving when storing
data, but THAT becomes an even worse mess when trying to manage meetings
across Europe. They can all be at 9AM but not happening at the same time as
you have to track the daylight saving at each location :)

>   By the way, what makes you think that most people have an invalid timezone
> configured? Windows XP have NTP support that is enabled by default. Without a
> proper timezone this should result in an always invalid time. Linux and BSD
> systems have more experienced users that set their timezone correctly most of
> the time.

Correct, so people select the timezone that gives the right time, if the
daylight saving switch is off. And then the calendar gives the wrong times
when trying to display a weekend containing a daylight saving change. ( THAT
one wasted a few hours before we twigged what was wrong - since the clock was
right :) )

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL