List:       php-general
Subject:    Re: [PHP] [RFC] HTTP timezone
From:       Lester Caine <lester () lsces ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-06-11 13:05:40

Stefanos Harhalakis wrote:
> On Sunday 10 June 2007, Richard Lynch wrote:
>> On Sat, June 9, 2007 8:06 am, Stefanos Harhalakis wrote:
>>> Timezone: +0200
>>>
>>> that will specify their timezone offset. This way scripts will be able
>>> provide appropriate date/time strings/representations and/or content.
>> It's pretty useless and unreliable since user's clocks/timezone
>> settings are incorrect far too often...
>
> I'm only considering the timezone information. I believe that this is not the
> proper way to think before making a start. The fact that many user's timezone
> is incorrect doesn't mean that this is not needed. Lets just hope that one
> day Windows will do the right thing and keep the time in UTC while displaying
> it using the appropriate timezone.

Timezone information is only of use for the CURRENT day - even if it is wrong.
It is ESSENTIAL that any changes also include the daylight saving information.
Since this is not included, all current sites handling event related
information in real time need to manually log a users PROPER time and daylight
saving information so that they know if 8AM today is the same as 8AM tomorrow.

If this is not going to actually fix the problem - don't bother wasting time
on it :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL