List:       php-general
Subject:    Re: [PHP] [RFC] HTTP timezone
From:       "Richard Lynch" <ceo () l-i-e ! com>
Date:       2007-06-10 1:42:08

On Sat, June 9, 2007 7:15 pm, Stefanos Harhalakis wrote:
> On Sunday 10 June 2007, Richard Lynch wrote:
>> On Sat, June 9, 2007 8:06 am, Stefanos Harhalakis wrote:
>> > Timezone: +0200
>> >
>> > that will specify their timezone offset. This way scripts will be
>> able
>> > provide appropriate date/time strings/representations and/or
>> content.
>>
>> It's pretty useless and unreliable since user's clocks/timezone
>> settings are incorrect far too often...
>
> I'm only considering the timezone information. I believe that this is
> not the
> proper way to think before making a start. The fact that many user's
> timezone
> is incorrect doesn't mean that this is not needed. Lets just hope that
> one
> day Windows will do the right thing and keep the time in UTC while
> displaying
> it using the appropriate timezone.

I'm sorry if you read what I typed to mean "not needed" -- that's not
what I meant.

It's actually needed quite badly, really, since otherwise any dynamic
site has to either ignore user timezones or has to have every user
register just to know what their timezone is.

I meant that it was "useless" in the sense that because you'll never
know if the timezone is right or not, you won't really be able to rely
on it for anything important... Or, for that matter, most unimportant
things, as you'll end up needing to have users register anyway, as
some simply can't handle fixing their clock/timezone.

PS Os all the things MS needs to fix, internal representation in UTC
has to be pretty low on the list :-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?