List:       php-general
Subject:    Re: [PHP] Stop spreading PEAR FUD;
From:       "Richard Lynch" <ceo () l-i-e ! com>
Date:       2005-06-30 23:50:54

On Sat, June 25, 2005 7:32 am, Matthew Weier O'Phinney said:
> * Catalin Trifu <catalin@isp-software.de> :
>> I also tend to stay away from PEAR, which is kinda bloated for my
>> taste, except the Log package.
>
> <rant>
> I hear that a lot on this list, and I don't understand the reasoning
> behind such comments -- perhaps because nobody offers any reasoning,
> only the opinion?
>
> I'm a PEAR user, and I've found the packages anything *but* bloated.
> Granted, I only use a subset of PEAR, but that subset has made mycoding
> easier. I use DB, Log, Mail, Mail_MIME, HTML_QuickForm, Cache_Lite, and
> Pager daily; additionally, we use custom PEAR error handlers to catch
> errors generated by these packages, log them, and display custom error
> pages. If I'd had to write the functionality I have readily available in
> these packages, I wouldn't have a job right now. They've helped me meet
> numerous deadlines.
>
> If somebody could offer some *constructive* criticism of PEAR -- PEAR as
> it is TODAY, not "3 years ago, when I last tried it" -- these comments
> would have more weight. As it is, I feel they're just FUD based on
> ignorance.
> </rant>

<rant>
When I see some killer feature in PEAR that I think will make up for the
*DAYS* of my time that PEAR wasted three years ago, I'll try it again.

I remain adamant that PEAR is bloated, has too many internal dependencies,
and gives me nothing faster/easier than rolling my own.

YMMV
</rant>

:-)

I *like* the PEAR guys.  I appreciate that they've given some great code
that lets people just slap it in and it works.

I'm sure some people just LOVE the integrated error handling that silently
eats all the errors in PEAR.

Maybe they even appreciate that it also eats all the following errors I
was sending to the Apache log which I monitored. :-( :-( :-(

If that's how you want to build you application, more power to you.

*I* don't like to work that way.

I will probably continue to boil down my opinion to "PEAR is bloated"
rather than waste time on this list, yet again, provding specific details
of my experience.  Read the archives if you want detail.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm