List:       php-general
Subject:    [PHP] math in PHP
From:       Whitehawk Stormchaser <zerokode () gmx ! net>
Date:       2004-09-18 21:15:14

Hi!
I have been trying to make some sort of calculator in PHP, but I have stumbled
on a problem... I have been make some kind of dynamical calculator, unlike
most I have seen, that had $value1 [math operator] $value2 strict, but a
calculator, that can calculate basically anything ( even something like
(5*(8-3)+2*(4-1))^3 ), and can be put in as string variable...

I have tried things like this:

$var = "1+1+1+1";
echo $var + 0; //returns 1

or

$var = "1+1+1+1";
echo eval("\$var;"); //returns blank

or

$var = "1+1+1+1";
echo (int) $var; //returns 1

things like that...

Now my question is: is it possible to calculate the value of the string
somehow?

Thanks. Stormy.