List:       php-general
Subject:    Re: [PHP] Email verification
From:       Brad Pauly <brad () robinsontech ! com>
Date:       2003-12-31 18:39:14

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 11:18, Cesar Aracena wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to create a script to check for errors in submitted forms. I want
> the visitor to enter two times the email address and then check for it...
> This is what I have so far. The scripts checks if the email was entered in
> both fields, but not if they are equal to each other... ???
>
> if (!trim($email1))
>      {
>       echo "<BR>El <B>E-mail</B> es requerido.";
>       $errors++;
>       if (!trim($email2))
>       {
>        echo "<BR>El <B>E-mail</B> es requerido en ambos campos.";
>        $errors++;
>        if ($email1 != $email2)
>        {
>         echo "<BR>Las <B>direcciones de E-mail</B> no concuerdan.";
>         $errors++;
>        }
>       }
>      }
>
> What is wrong? Thanks in advanced and happy new year to all.

The check to see if they are the same needs to be outside of the checks
for being blank. If they are both not blank, you will never get to the
last check. You could check for both in the first if, then do the
comparison. Something like (untested):

if (!trim($email1) || !trim($email2)) {
  echo "<BR>El <B>E-mail</B> es requerido en ambos campos.";
  $errors++;
} elseif ($email1 != $email2) {
  echo "<BR>Las <B>direcciones de E-mail</B> no concuerdan.";
  $errors++;
}

- Brad