List:       php-db
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DB] Random question selection in PHP w/ MySQL backend.
From:       "John Pickett" <xtremist () xmission ! com>
Date:       2001-07-31 20:47:28

Adam,

I'm what I would call a novice to PHP and databases in general, however if I
had to do what you're doing, I might do the following...

Add a field to the table that contains your questions called "displayed" and
have it be an enum of Yes/No True/False, etc...  In your script, you'd then
query for all the questions that haven't already been displayed.  Then get a
random one of those (plenty of randomizing functions in PHP I believe).
Display it, mark it as displayed in the db...  Next time, it won't even get
returned in the query.  I don't know if you have to do this on a per-user
basis or what.  If so, you will probably have to create a session table and
keep track of the questions each user has viewed...  Hope this gets you
started...  Cheers!

My 2 ¢
John Pickett
http://www.bvstudios.com/