List:       php-db
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DB] TUDBC a new unified database API for PHP (Phalanger, Quercus), Ruby (IronRuby, JRuby),
From:       "Post-No-Reply TUDBC" <post-no-reply () tudbc ! org>
Date:       2008-09-14 18:36:31

Thanks for your comment. I did some reading over the weekend.

There were so many types of licenses out there, and reading and
understanding all the details could be overwhelming. I read a bit
about GPL (GNU General Public License, read GPL wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License for a start).
It is similar to what I have in several ways in my limited
understanding. For GPL, I was surprised to learn that you can modify,
but the modifications will belong to the public and not you. For dual
license similar to MySQL, I am still unclear how the public
contributed modifications can be kept out of the proprietary part,
because even two people write for the exact same purpose, the outcome
will be very similar, so how can you tell whether one actually copied
from another or not.

Until I have more time to sort things out, I don't know which license
suits TUDBC best.

At any rate, under my current license,

* if you are just a regular user who just wants to use TUDBC without
modifications, then none of these matters to you any way
          o same as GPL to use it for free
          o slightly better than MySQL, because TUDBC has only one set
of released source codes, whereas MySQL paid version is better than
the free version.

* If you make your extensions public, then they belong to TUDBC
          o slightly worse than GPL, because GPL also says you don't
own them, but the public own them.
          o I think for MySQL, if you are a paying customer you
probably won't reveal your modifications. If you do reveal, probably
GPL will apply.

* If you keep the extensions to yourself, then they belong to you
          o slightly better than GPL, because you actually own them
          o  same as MySQL