List:       php-db
Subject:    [PHP-DB] Wrong results with ORDER BY DESC
From:       76.108.121.182
Date:       2008-05-29 4:25:10

Hey all. I installed Apache and PHP onto my computer to use for testing
about six days ago, and have had MySQL installed for a few weeks before.
It all works fine, except for certain queries PHP gets very odd and
inconsistent results back.

Here's an example. This query, in both PHP and through the MySQL Query
Browser:

SELECT ID_FIRST_MSG FROM smf_topics WHERE ID_BOARD = 51 ORDER BY
ID_FIRST_MSG

Will work fine and return a 10-result set of the proper IDs from the
smf_topics table sorted correctly. However, this query, different only
by the addition of DESC:

SELECT ID_FIRST_MSG FROM smf_topics WHERE ID_BOARD = 51 ORDER BY
ID_FIRST_MSG DESC

Will work in the Query Browser fine, but not in PHP. When run from PHP,
it will return a 10-result set of an ID from other boards (same table,
different ID_BOARD values). All 10 rows will be the same ID, and
periodically the ID that is returned changes; sometimes it changes as
soon as the page is refreshed, sometimes it only changes after waiting a
bit, but there's no pattern I can see here.

Here's the PHP code I'm using to test it:

<?php
mysql_connect('localhost','charas_forum2','********');
mysql_select_db('charas_forum2');
$request = mysql_query("SELECT ID_FIRST_MSG FROM smf_topics WHERE
ID_BOARD = '51' ORDER BY ID_FIRST_MSG DESC");
while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($request)) {
	echo $row['ID_FIRST_MSG'], '<br />';
}
?>

My setup is as follows:

Windows Vista Business with Service Pack 1
Apache 2.2
PHP Version 5.2.6
MySQL 5.1.23-rc-community via TCP/IP

Any help would be greatly appreciated.