List:       php-db
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DB] show data from 2 tables
From:       Rolf Brusletto <rolf-list () triculture ! com>
Date:       2003-10-28 17:33:45

ddhull@ku.edu wrote:

> I am attempting to pull data from 2 tables.  My SELECT statement seems ok.  But the \
> next line: while ... etc. is giving me an error of "Supplied argument is not a \
> valid MySQL result resource.".  But this is the way I usually show my data and it \
> works fine when only 1 table is involved.  Is there a different way of showing your \
> data when pulling data from more than one table?
> $result = @mysql_query('SELECT orders.orderid, orders.amount, orders.date
> 	from customers, orders WHERE customers.name = "Don Hansen" and
> 	customers.customerid = orders.customerid');
>
> while ( $row = mysql_fetch_array($result) )
> {
> 	$zorderid = $row['orders.orderid'];
> 	$zamt = $row['orders.amount'];
> 	echo (str_pad($zorderid,4,' ') .  str_pad($zamt,6, '  ') . '<br>');
> }
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

Doug -

the data would actually be accessed as the actual fieldnames without the
"tablename."

while($row=mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
{
    foreach($row as $key => $value) {
       echo '$row['.$key.'] => '.$value.'<br />';
    }
    echo '<br />';
}

the above snippet will allow you to see the values being passed to $row
by mysql_fetch_assoc();

hope this helps,

Rolf Brusletto
www.phpExamples.net