List:       php-db
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DB] generating sequence without AUTO_INCREMENT
From:       Lester Caine <lester () lsces ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-06-27 5:54:58

> Doing what I wanted to do took six hours and 120 lines of code, all in
> all, but I learnt a good deal on the way. ;-)

At times, manual intervention can be a lifesaver.
You have already said that you have to 'ring fence' bank
holidays, and weekends, so someone has to check or enter the
bank holidays.
So I would provide two 'fill' functions that populates an
issue number table, and will either fill the week if no bank
holidays, or fill each selected day when there is a bank
holiday in the week.
This can then be done monthly or yearly as the look ahead
time requires.
Or am I missing something - I've only ever used
Interbase/Firebird, and never had a problem with this sort
of ident.

--
Lester Caine