List:       phorum-dev
Subject:    RE: [phorum-dev] How to make Phorummail right.
From:       Dave Walton <dwalton () acm ! org>
Date:       2000-05-29 8:20:06

"Brian Moon" wrote:

> The only other possibility is if we can play with the
> subject line of the
> email before it goes to the list software.
>
> The two email address thing has a flaw.  that is that
> someone can still send
> email to the real list address.  The only way to get around
> it is to deny all address but one address.
>
> Any comments?

There is one, simple, reliable solution to the mail loop problem:
 Don't create a loop.

All you have to do is set Phorum up so that when someone posts
from the forum, it is NOT put in the database.  It is simply
mailed to the listserver's email address.  Have Phorum's email
address subscribed to the list, and a few seconds later
Phorummail will get a copy of the new post, at which time it gets
put in the database.  And if someone posts to the list via email,
it goes to Phorummail and into the database.  No loops will
happen, because no loops CAN happen.  No special headers or
subject munging required.

In short:  When Phorum is configured to received email from a
list, it should email posts to the list INSTEAD of putting them
in the database.

Dave