List:       phorum-dev
Subject:    Re: [phorum-dev] Phorumail 1.0.4 available
From:       "Dana Basken" <dana () basken ! com>
Date:       1999-08-03 23:34:32

Folks,

It looks like the latest incarnation of Phorumail, along with some changes
to Phorum itself, will handle responses to threads (as well as new posts)
properly.  This will be done by using Brian's suggestion of thread and
parent id's specified in the subject line.  Phorumail parses these out and
generates responses to threads if they are present.

As for spamming a discussion board via Phorumail, there is no protection
yet.  I'll look at a couple of options here, I'm definately open to
suggestion.  Not sure that trying to authenticate users will work for most
installations, though.  I'm thinking about implementing a more general spam
filter that would check the number of posts from a given IP address and
block those that try to send too many per x number of seconds.  Since
Phorumail eventually connects to the httpd server running Phorum and
accesses post.php3, all the standard Phorum blocks will work (block by host,
email, name).

Another feature to be added will be examining the results of posting the
message to Phorum and determining if the post happened properly.  This
should be in the next release.

Thanks for all the great feedback,

- Dana