List:       pgsql-performance
Subject:    Re: [PERFORM] Nested Loop join being improperly chosen
From:       Brad Ediger <brad () bradediger ! com>
Date:       2008-08-28 23:22:19

On Aug 28, 2008, at 6:01 PM, David Rowley wrote:

> I had a similar problem here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2008-07/msg00026.php
>
> Is the nested loop performing a LEFT join with yours? It's a little
> difficult to tell just from the query plan you showed.
>
> A work around for mine was to use a full outer join and eliminate
> the extra
> rows in the where clause. A bit of a hack but it changed a 2 min
> query into
> one that ran in under a second.
>
> Of course this is not helping with your problem but at least may
> trigger
> some more feedback.

Hi David,
Thanks for your input. All of the joins are inner joins; the query is
a large one with 5 or 6 subqueries. It was being generated from a
popular data warehousing / business intelligence product whose name I
shall not mention. The vendor ended up pulling the subselects out into
SELECT INTO statements on temporary tables. It's kludgey, but it works
much better.

Thanks,
Brad
["smime.p7s" (smime.p7s)]

0	*H
 010	+0	*H
 '00I Sa5W88QMƘ0
	*H
0b10	UZA1%0#U
Thawte Consulting (Pty) Ltd.1,0*U#Thawte Personal Freemail Issuing CA0
080613210251Z
090613210251Z0E10UThawte Freemail Member1"0 	*H
	brad@bradediger.com0"0
	*H
0
Ay;OvSSr̟*mEF+lHʙwӼβ-m`/FJ41Rl \
Yy'E^Ovwy0 Xr&+9}hg@wJPxXjJr+ \
Ss9NxQ揬gϰey*@t{%O \
+kچ/5UbBa^Y1_sP*YpCrzBofJ_K)<zs)00.0U0brad@bradediger.com0U00
 	*H
3!q")5ܭ߿wr}ux=fhno^p2}ϰrgsI.1hz{Au#8[Y<,@T9
 )?W_YX'0?0
0
	*H
010	UZA10UWestern Cape10U	Cape Town10U
Thawte Consulting1(0&UCertification Services Division1$0"UThawte \
Personal Freemail CA1+0)	*H 	personal-freemail@thawte.com0
030717000000Z
130716235959Z0b10	UZA1%0#U
Thawte Consulting (Pty) Ltd.1,0*U#Thawte Personal Freemail Issuing CA00
	*H
0Ħ<UsUNʙZhup[v:aQP
0cZ,p+Z?qV˯<6$*+w=+>@dקe*TH<a@dr`00U00CU<0:08 \
6 42http://crl.thawte.com/ThawtePersonalFreemailCA.crl0U0)U"0 \
010UPrivateLabel2-1380 	*H
HP.
fg CL!6-6/P p<ab:~t%Pb'qW%ݩ9 \
Oe_N4[5MwV!x!5$F]_eO100v0b10	UZA1%0#U \
Thawte Consulting (Pty) Ltd.1,0*U#Thawte Personal Freemail Issuing \
CASa5W88QMƘ0	+ o0	*H 	1	*H
0	*H
	1
080828232219Z0#	*H
	10OR Ȯll0	+71x0v0b10	UZA1%0#U
Thawte Consulting (Pty) Ltd.1,0*U#Thawte Personal Freemail Issuing \
CASa5W88QMƘ0*H 	1x v0b10	UZA1%0#U
Thawte Consulting (Pty) Ltd.1,0*U#Thawte Personal Freemail Issuing \
CASa5W88QMƘ0 	*H
P:W?6JyS<X"'gIOI"i|>xy`W^`9^1õ9$IK2 \
摜+)9Q*#<]Xab:CfHNG~_BIќckT$C3\IXyĿ27j \
")"CP$PŇ9),<H:b/;lqįruaI ͩ,b{[a2R \