List:       pgsql-hackers
Subject:    Re: [HACKERS] [GENERAL] Connection to PostgreSQL Using Certificate: Wrong Permissions on Private Key
From:       "korry" <korry.douglas () enterprisedb ! com>
Date:       2008-03-31 22:55:15

> Now libpq doesn't have any provision for DETAIL or HINT in its
> locally-generated messages at the moment, so we can't just duplicate
> the backend message, but we could do something like this example
> from elsewhere in libpq:
>
> if (stat_buf.st_mode & (S_IRWXG | S_IRWXO))
> {
> fprintf(stderr,
> libpq_gettext("WARNING: password file \"%s\" has world or group read access; \
> permission should be u=rw (0600)\n"), pgpassfile);
> return NULL;
> }

Hmmm... I'm not crazy about libpq printing error messages to stderr.
The client application can't intercept those messages. And those
messages will often get lost - many client applications don't have
useful stderr streams (think GUI application on Win32).

          -- Korry

--

  Korry Douglas  <korryd@enterprisedb.com>