List:       pgp-keyserver-folk
Subject:    Re: [pgp-keyserver-folk] ldap and key serving
From:       David Shaw <dshaw () jabberwocky ! com>
Date:       2004-04-20 16:00:55

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 10:26:32PM +1000, Tony Lembke wrote:
> Dear List,
> I would value the advice of the list as to the status of running a LDAP
> based keyserver.
> I understood that the gnupg and pgp could interact only with servers
> that used the pgp protocol, like pksd.
> I am told that gnupg can access a properly configured LDAP server by
> designating the kerserver using ldap://keyserver.foo.bar
> Is this correct? If so, is there a specific schema that is used, and
> does openLDAP handle the job?

It's a little more complex than that.  There are actually three common
keyserver protocols.  One is HKP, the protocol used by pksd and sks.
Both PGP and GnuPG can use these servers.  The other two are both
LDAP.  There is a LDAP keyserver which is a heavily modified LDAP
server that can only store keys (ldap://keyserver.pgp.com is an
example of such a server).  While based on LDAP, this server can only
be used to store keys.  Both PGP and GnuPG can use these server.

Very recently, PGP and GnuPG became able to store keys in any LDAP
server (the schema is available from PGP.com).  This requires PGP 8 or
GnuPG 1.3.5 or later.

David