List:       pgp-keyserver-folk
Subject:    Re: Replication server
From:       "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii () invweb ! net>
Date:       1998-09-06 13:32:57

In <t53yaryar7s.fsf@rover.cygnus.com>, on 09/05/98
   at 10:51 PM, Marc Horowitz <marc@cygnus.com> said:

>>> Thus users of the "extra" features present in pgp 6.0 will not be able
>>> to submit thier keys to the non-NAI keyservers...unless of course the
>>> current pksd is updated/modified to accomodate these "new" features...
>>> (any idea what the probability of this is?)

>Can you be more specific about what these changes are?  Better, are these
>additions to the formats publically documented (in the ietf formats
>draft-soon-to-be-rfc or elsewhere)?  The amount of time I have to work on
>the keyserver is a fraction of my limited free time, but I do consider
>these sorts of changes to be very important.

Unfortunatly these changes are *not* documented in the OpenPGP I-D.

The only change that I have seen mentioned that should affect the
keyservers is the Photo-ID which is using a new packet type (17). I will
add the option to remove these packets to my OpenPGP utilities as soon as
I get the chance.

Supposedly there is a mechanism for converting X.509 <==> PGP keys. I have
no documentation on this process or if any "new" packet types are involved
in the process.

William H. Geiger III  http://www.openpgp.net

OS/2 PGP 5.0 at: http://www.openpgp.net/pgp.html