List:       pfsense-support
Subject:    Re: [pfSense] Soekris 6501 installation question
From:       "Nenhum_de_Nos" <matheus () eternamente ! info>
Date:       2012-01-27 22:44:47

On Wed, January 25, 2012 20:19, Jim Pingle wrote:
> On 1/23/2012 5:44 PM, Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, January 23, 2012 16:52, Jim Pingle wrote:
>>> Correct, the stock memstick image is VGA only. It's not meant to be run
>>> long-term, it's just an installer.
>>>
>>> If you're feeling lucky, I haven't heard back any input on this, but I
>>> made a serial memstick the other day if you want to try. My Soekris is
>>> currently in active duty so I can't easily pull it to try.
>>>
>>> http://files.chi.pfsense.org/jimp/pfSense-memstick-serial-2.0.1-RELEASE-i386.img.gz
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
>> Jim,
>>
>> I know this image is not official, but would be that of a problem to have it amd64 also ? This
>> is
>> great to use in soekris boards ! No need to write the disk elsewhere :)
>
> May not be too bad, but still a fairly manual process. What do you
> intend to install it on? There isn't really any compelling reason to use
> amd64 on the net6501 which is currently the only device this makes much
> sense to use for since not many things support USB booting and don't
> have VGA.

Jim,

I know there is not a huge reason to use amd64 on it (net6501), but I'd like to use just amd64 SW
on all my machines, and apart from this soekris and a net5501, all my routers run amd64 pfsense :)

by the way, if I edit the usb where the memstick img was dd'ed, will it work ? (see the changes
for serial console on FreeBSD Handbook)

thanks,

matheus

--