List:       pfsense-support
Subject:    [pfSense] Internet down after IP change?
From:       Jeppe Øland <joland () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-01-27 4:51:08

Twice now, I've had this problem ... and I'm stumped.

My ISP (like most) provisions IP via DHCP - and it rarely changes.

However, earlier today the ISP changed the IP ... and since then, the
Internet was down for me.
I am using pfSense 2.0.1 nanobsd_vga on amd64, and it had been up for
almost 35 days.
(The previous time they only changed the GW, and that did the trick
too - I *think* that was pfSense 2.0.0 full release on amd64 ...
search for "WAN DHCP change of default GW ..." on 12/16/2011).

Trying to find the problem was interesting (I didn't find it ... again
had to reboot pfSense to get the connection back). This is a summary
of what I found:
    Any PC from my local LAN was unable to reach the Internet.
    pfSense UI worked fine, and reported the connection being DOWN in
the Gateways widget.
    System log contained nothing but a million copies of the following line:
        firewall kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for x.x.x.x
(address being what I believe was the previous GW).
    Status/Gateways showed the device DOWN. Interestingly, Gateway and
Monitor IP were not the same.
    All other screens looked reasonable.
    !!!!!And finally, I could SSH to the pfSense box .... and from
here, Internet access worked perfectly!!!!!

After trying to reset states etc, I took a screenshot of the pages I
thought might be interesting, and rebooted.
After rebooting, everything works normally.

Comparing different status screens after the reboot:
    Dashboard: Identical aside from uptime etc.
    Gateways: Monitor IP is now the same as the GW, and the connection
is reported as UP.
    Interfaces: Identical
    ARP table: Identical
    Routes: Identical (except now there are routes defined for 8.8.8.8
and 8.8.4.4 which I use ... but I assume thats not the problem).

Any idea at all what could be going on here?

Regards,
-Jeppe