List:       pfsense-support
Subject:    Re: [pfSense] is pfsense a light process similiar to haproxy?
From:       "Adam Thompson" <athompso () athompso ! net>
Date:       2012-01-24 22:37:25

> HAProxy seems to be a very light process where people run it on the same
> server as their web server etc.
> Is it common practise to do the same with pfsense?

Yes, and haproxy is available for pfSense.  I believe Scott Ulrich
recommends the use of varnish, instead, on pfSense.  They do slightly
different things, although there is a great deal of overlap in their
feature sets.
With the pfSense GUI, it appears varnish is somewhat more flexible than
haproxy.

From a performance standpoint, you can put a reverse proxy anywhere on
your network.
From a security standpoint, if you can't put the reverse proxy in the DMZ,
on a separate host behind the firewall is the next-best option.  The
third-best option (in my opinion) would be to run it on the firewall
itself, which is what pfSense allows.

-Adam Thompson
 athompso@athompso.net