List:       pfsense-support
Subject:    Re: [pfSense Support] embedded install on a Pentium III system
From:       Michel Servaes <michel () mcmc ! be>
Date:       2009-12-29 23:33:36

> The reason it works out of the box on ALIX/Soekris is because the
> default network adapter names for those are vr0/vr1 on both platforms so
> those are in the default configuration.
>
> Jim

Jim,

I was experimenting with the pfSense embedded, but it does indeed use
the serial console to show it's output.
I was just wondering, if I pop in a RTL8139D card (or any other that
would be a VIA Rhine chipset) - I guess pfSense would assign "vr0" to
this adaptor - and thus, being able to configure the firewall without
the need for a serial-console...

Unfortunately, my P3 seems not quite happy to handle the 2GB CD card,
because it hangs at boot on the BTX loader (just tested another mobo,
and here I really can see activity on the CF card (led on the IDE/CF
adaptor is much more nervous, than on the P3 mobo)) - I'll see if an
add-on IDE pci-adaptor might load it up, otherwise I need to upgrade the
mobo... would really hate it, since the P3 only consumes 25 watts (while
the newer mobo uses 65 watts) - guess an Alix isn't going to wait for
long now ;-)

Happy holidays everyone!