List:       pfsense-support
Subject:    Re: [pfSense Support] ALIX 'idle' CPU utilization
From:       David Burgess <apt.get () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-17 18:58:11

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Keenan Tims <ktims@gotroot.ca> wrote:

> I have an ALIX 2d3 running a full install of 1.2.3-RC2 on some industrial
> CF. When it's passing very little traffic (~150pps, ~600kbps) I'm seeing an
> average of about 15% CPU usage.

That doesn't look out of line to me. I have a net5501 (500MHz) and it
tends to around 92% idle in top with ~200kbps torrents seeding over
NAT. Particularly if your Alix handles 25mbit, it's probably in order.

As for the unaccounted for 10% usage, I don't know, unless it's jut
rounding error from a whole pile of processes using less than 1% each.

db