List:       pfsense-support
Subject:    Re: [pfSense Support] Routing throughput on Soekris boards
From:       Chris Buechler <cmb () pfsense ! org>
Date:       2007-08-24 2:14:12

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 12:02 +0100, Chris Bagnall wrote:
> Greetings list,
>
> I know there've been discussions on the m0n0wall list in the past regarding \
> throughput benchmarking on Soekris platforms. Would those same figures also apply \
> to pfSense?
> If not, has anyone done any benchmarking on 4801/5501 boards they'd be willing to \
> share with the list?
> I'm currently trying to work out whether a site needs a 4801 or a 5501. They have a \
> 10mbit synchronous WAN link, a standard office LAN, but also a WLAN used for \
> streaming CCTV footage from remote buildings. I'm trying to calculate whether the \
> Soekris will handle the theoretical max throughput (about 25mbps WLAN + 10mbps \
> WAN).

A 4801 is not even close to enough. A 4801 would be a bit of a stretch
even with 4.x-based m0n0wall versions. Especially if you needed any sort
of VPN.

You can get about 28-30 Mb through a 4801, but at those loads the
webGUI, SSH, console and all are completely unresponsive. Enabling
polling prevents that, but lowers max throughput into the 20-25 Mb
range. IPsec pegs the CPU at ~4 Mb. I have data showing the exact
numbers, but haven't had a chance to put it together into something
readable yet.

You may be in good shape with a 5501, but we haven't gotten our hands on
one yet so I don't know. My guess is they'll do close to, if not at 100
Mb wire speed.  VPN would be another story though, I wouldn't anticipate
more than 10-15 Mb of IPsec on such a slow proc. The Hifn cards work
well though, and would be worth looking into if you're going to use
IPsec.