List:       pfsense-discussion
Subject:    Re: [pfSense] Restoring DHCP table from 2.2.x into 2.3.x
From:       Walter Parker <walterp () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-05-29 23:50:35

When I moved from 2.2 to 2.3, I had a list of 20+ static leases (all the
phones, tables, printers, laptops and desktops in the household), so I
didn't really want to recreate them.

I uninstalled the packages that don't exist in 2.3 and then backed up the
the config. On the new 2.3 box, I restored from that config and things
worked just fine.

Walter

On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Dave Warren <davew@hireahit.com> wrote:

> On 2016-05-29 17:35, Walter Parker wrote:
>
>> You could try copying the the entries from the old XML and paste it in the
>> new XML file.
>>

> Is the backup/restore mechanism similar and compatible? This would at
> least bring static assignments and configuration across, without restoring
> anything else, which would probably be Good Enough for my purposes, in
> general any machine that is powered on when it's lease expires will tend to
> request the same IP from the new server, although it's a bit of an
> imperfect solution.
>
> I'm more nervous about copying entire sections into the XML right now,
> although if the data appears similar, it may be worth considering.
>

> --
> Dave Warren
> http://www.hireahit.com/
> http://ca.linkedin.com/in/davejwarren

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.   -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis