List:       pfsense-discussion
Subject:    Re: [pfSense] Banana Pi - R1
From:       Luiz Otavio O Souza <lists.br () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-09-07 23:53:10

On 7 September 2015 at 19:41, Thinker Rix wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to ask if there is any update concerning the support of the Banana
> Pi "R1": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_Pi#Banana_Pi_R1
>
> The R1 comes with a Allwinner A20 SoC, that uses an ARM Cortex-A7 CPU.
> It has 5 Gigabit ports + WLAN and sells for ~80 USD including acryl
> enclosure, 2 antennas, power supply and free shipping:
> http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20150907123912&SearchText=banana+pi+r1
> Seems like a perfect home/SoHo solution to me!?
>
> The last state about a year ago was, that it is not supported, since pfsense
> was based on FreeBSD 8.x back then, which did not support ARM CPUs.
> In the mean time, pfsense bases on FreeBSD 10.1, which AFAIK introduced
> support for ARM.
>
> So how about running pfSense on the R1; any updates?
>
> Cheers
> Thinker Rix

No updates so far, there isn't support in FreeBSD for this board yet.

There have been improvements on FreeBSD side, the banana pi (not the
r1) support is working and will be committed shortly to FreeBSD.

All the ARM improvements happens on FreeBSD -head, the 10.1 release is
frozen in time and the ARM support in that release isn't great and
won't get any better.

Anyway we hope to see the support for banana pi R1 in FreeBSD soon.

Luiz