List:       pfsense-discussion
Subject:    [pfSense] 2 problems - hybrid reverse natting breaks external VIP? internal webserver LB pool for th
From:       <jens.simmoleit () bertelsmann ! de>
Date:       2015-06-18 12:16:35

Hello Party People,

First of all I love pfsense and I'm using it intensely now for about 3 year=
s in my job and I'm honestly quite satisfied with the stability and perform=
ance (I'm using the cfcard nanobsd version). I have to say I became a littl=
e fanboy of pfsense.
I hope you can help me out here, I'm not sure if these are bugs, but it see=
ms to be so.

I try to explain my 2 problems in detail.

My setup
------------

2.2.2-RELEASE (amd64)
built on Mon Apr 13 20:10:22 CDT 2015
FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p9

Platform              nanobsd (4g)

I have 3 master/slave pairs of HA pfsense. 2 pairs of them are connected to=
 the internet, each with their own internet connection. The third pair is o=
n an internal net and serves as a "secure data vault door" (lb for galera c=
luster). It's internally accessible from both external pairs and works flaw=
less.
Smt. like this, very simplified of course. If you need things like VLAN and=
 so on, just ask I'll provide this to you.

   M/S Pair1   M/S Pair22
      |                             |
      _____________

                     M/S Pair3

Problem 1 - Reverse Natting my dmz'ed postfix mail server:

I have found out that there seems to be a reproducible bug/error, which bre=
aks the HA, well sort of, I guess. I can reproduce it with a fresh install.=
 On the HA-Setups (Line1/Line2), I have one webserver in each DMZ. For the =
mail service to work properly I need to reverse NAT port 25. So I did switc=
h to hybrid outbound NAT and entered:

WAN     172.16.40.0/22  *             *             25           (external =
VIP of the mailserver)              *             YES

Why did I do that? Because mail providers like e.g. gmx.net and Hotmail.com=
, do a reverse check on the visiting mail server. So if you leave outbound =
NAT in automatic mode, the external (V)IP of the mailserver  is used by pos=
tfix to connect to gmx (which is correct so far). BUT the Mailserver from g=
mx.net checks the DNS/IP of the emailserver connecting, it then connects BA=
CK trying to reach my emailserver (VIP) but instead the pfsense-master IP (=
not even the pfsense external VIP!) answers. So the gmx server refuses my m=
ail delivery, as the check didn't answer back with the right email address.=
 No email can be send, period!

Here is a first question: If I'm not mistaken with older versions, you coul=
d not only enter the subnet but the server ip directly, this seems to have =
changed, am I right? If so, why? What happened?

NOW, here comes the REAL problem. After activating hybrid outbound NAT, the=
 external VIP of my HA-Setup seems to be broken (the internal VIP's are sti=
ll fine though). Try it for yourself. I can't ping the external VIP-Address=
, I can't use my browser to connect to the pfsense webpage, it seems to be =
completely dead. I reproduced this error with a fresh HA sandbox setup here=
 at the office. When I switch it back to automatic, it works again, but THE=
N my mail servers won't function properly.

Doing a failover test in hybrid mode, made my load balancing pools go offli=
ne for a few seconds, but AFAIR this shouldn't be the case. So, at least to=
 me, it looks like there is something utterly broken using this hybrid feat=
ure.

I hope you can tell me if I did smtg. wrong or if there is a fix for my fir=
st problem.
Most important, is this a bug, should I file it?

"Problem" 2 - Internal Load-Balancing for my developers:

This is a problem I'd really die for solving it. I'm using relayd big time =
and it works awesome with my amount of pools and data we get. BUT, I'd like=
 to setup an internal LoadBalancing. I setup some pools and some LAN-VIP's,=
 those work already, but NOT in the same network segment. How can I tell re=
layd to accept requests, which orginate from the same subnet. Is this possi=
ble? The background for this is, our setup is completely in ssl, so https i=
s a must. As we only have 2-3 dev machines, but a lot more websites and api=
s and services which all need functioning certificates, we of course had to=
 switch away from  port 443, to other non standard ports.

The tests they are setting up, won't work properly with other then the 443 =
ports (selenium firefox e.g.), so I wanted to circumvent this with VIP's an=
d LB-Pools, always using port 443, to be error free.

Is this even possible? This would be so awesome, we are really struggeling =
here with that.

Please tell me it's possible to redirect the LB-VIP back to the subnet the =
pool originates from, please! ^^

Thanks for your invested time and help in advance,

Jens Simmoleit
Senior Linux Systems Administrator

infoscore Profile Tracking GmbH
part of arvato Financial Solutions
Kaistrasse 7
40211 D=FCsseldorf

Phone: +49 211 50 66 51- 88
Fax:     +49 211 50 66 51- 93
Mobile: +49 160 97 80 46 94

E-Mail: Jens.Simmoleit@bertelsmann.de

finance.arvato.com

------------------------------------
infoscore Profile Tracking GmbH | Sitz: D=FCsseldorf I Amtsgericht HRB G=FC=
tersloh 9368 | USt-IDNr.: DE 287843415 I
Gesch=E4ftsf=FChrer: Kai Kalchthaler, Matthias Schweizer
------------------------------------
Diese E-Mail und eventuelle Anlagen k=F6nnen vertrauliche und/oder rechtlic=
h gesch=FCtzte Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der
richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrt=FCmlich erhalten haben, infor=
mieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese
E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser E-Mai=
l sind nicht gestattet.
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged =
information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have
received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and des=
troy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or
distribution of the material in this e-mail is forbidden.