List:       pfsense-discussion
Subject:    Re: [pfSense] reverse proxy situation
From:       PiBa <pba_2k3 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2015-05-31 16:56:54

HAProxy package is 'currently' maintained by me, though maybe not highly
active, last week i added OCSP as an option in the -devel version.
Should get available in some time in the -1_5 version as well. Anyway it
offers quite some options, SSL-offloading, SNI, host-header/SNI backend
selection, others.. If something important is missing from the webgui,
and i think its usefull / easy to add, send me a mail and in time i
might add it. Also if something doesn't work properly, ill try and fix
it.. I do try to keep the package somewhat clean of an enormous amount
of options that will rarely be used.. And most 'advanced' options can be
added in the various 'textbox fields' as well..

Here an example of how haproxy can do http 1 ip to multiple backends:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YflytSq7P8oZBSCVUKWS1v2P0CdShbxeCsbTZ59JCRo/pub

In your case with https its a little different, and there is the option
to use SNI to forward TCP connections as is (IE on XP does not support
SNI, and maybe others if that matters for you...), or configure
ssl-offloading and process the actual http on haproxy, then the choice
to reencrypt the connection to backend or not.. And possibly mes up the
webapplication logic that wants to redirect to https again..

Pros:
-Acls for backend selection
-SSL/SNI support in various ways
-Nice stats page
-Session-stickiness, TCP forwarding, i think relatively low cpu usage,
others..
Cons:
-If you need 'rewriting' of the body of a html page then haproxy is not
going to do that for you. Haproxy can only insert/modify/remove
http-headers.
-Also if you want 'caching' this is not something haproxy will do.

As for the other packages ive not really used them much. So cant really
comment.., perhaps take a look at the github activity to see if and how
actively they are changing.? Though few commits can mean its very stable
and feature complete. It can also mean its not being actively
maintained. So still doesnt say much..

Greets PiBa-NL