List:       pfsense-discussion
Subject:    [pfSense] Sizing DHCP for Captive Portal
From:       Chris L <cjl () viptalk ! net>
Date:       2014-08-09 20:33:10

All -

I=92m trying to be sure a fairly decent sized captive portal install has a =
good chance at working when I turn it on.

Current DHCP pool is 1437 Active, 6264 Expired (free) on a /19 with no acti=
ve portal.

DHCP Settings are Default 86400 Max 86460 (1 day.)

Captive portal settings are:

No Authentication  (Management just wants to get a terms and conditions agr=
eed to before use.)

Unchecked Disable concurrent logins
Unchecked Disable MAC filtering
Unchecked Enable Pass-through MAC automatic additions
Unchecked Enable Pass-through MAC automatic addition with username

These settings are working fine in another area with more transitional user=
s (coffee shop) on a portal with an idle timeout of 120 and a hard timeout =
of 720.  DHCP Lease time of 44000 (733 mins) and a pool size of 750 address=
es.  We see up to about 100 active users there.

My thoughts for the new portal are this:

The users are more stationary.  They might be around, coming and going, for=
 several days.  I would like to not repeatedly bother them as long as they =
stay active so I am considering:

Idle timeout 1080 (18 hours)
Hard Timeout None
DHCP Settings Default 86400 Max 86460 (1 day.)

When the DHCP server receives a DHCPREQUEST, it sends a DHCPOFFER for an un=
used address in the pool and, if none, the OLDEST address in the leases fil=
e in a free state right?

If this is the case then as long as my free pool is big enough to accommoda=
te all new users for at least 18 hours without reissuing addresses, I shoul=
d be good to go right?

Another concern is we have the capability to set the maximum DHCP lease in =
the DHCP server, but many devices request and receive a lease for much shor=
ter periods.  If the above is true, they should also be able to leave for a=
 few hours and their lease should still be waiting for them when they retur=
n because it will be a younger expired lease than are being offered by dhcp=
d right?

Thanks much.