List:       pfsense-discussion
Subject:    Re: [pfSense] Best practice for SSD installs
From:       Chris Bagnall <pfsense () lists ! minotaur ! cc>
Date:       2013-06-12 16:20:27

On 12/6/13 5:12 pm, Adam Thompson wrote:
> I've used the Sandisk one before.  They're slow on reads and extremely slow on \
> writes.  On the other hand, none of them have died yet.

Noted - thanks for the feedback. I'll post a few speed tests to the list
once they've arrived and I've had chance to compare against the Integral
(and I think I have a similar, but pricier, Lexar unit here somewhere -
probably plugged into the back of the TV :-) )

I wonder if slow IO would actually matter much on a pfSense box, where
most things are (or at least could be) done from RAM. The only real
writes are logs, RRDs and config changes - and the logs could quite
easily go to ramdisk instead.

Kind regards,

Chris