List:       pfsense-discussion
Subject:    Re: [pfSense] Specify interface 'notification' SMTP server connects through
From:       Chris Buechler <cmb () pfsense ! org>
Date:       2012-08-27 5:50:54

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Thomas Sweeney <thomas@reddn.com> wrote:
> I am unable to use the 'notification' 'send to' smtp server to connect to a
> LAN side mail server, only works through the 'wan' side.  Am I missing
> something or can I specify it to go through the LAN interface?

You can't specify what interface it goes through, it just goes via
whichever interface is closer to the mail server per the routing
table. If the mail server is on the LAN subnet, it'll go out the LAN.
If your mail server's hostname resolves to a public IP on the box
itself and you don't have split DNS, that could lead to issues with
mail being unreachable via public IPs hosted on that system that's
trying to send.

> The main reason I ask this, which is another problem, is every time I make a
> change to the interface (on the backup router, using carp, and failover
> dhcp) the WAN gateway goes offline.  That is another problem if anyone wants
> to try that one.  If any changes to dhcp or the interface where the dhcp
> reloads, the interface will go 'down' and will not come back up until you
> take the interface down, wait 1-2 minutes, then bring it back up.

Definitely not a general problem. Loses link? Any additional logs/details?