List:       pfsense-discussion
Subject:    Re: [pfSense] 2.1 Snapshots - 'best' ones to use?
From:       Jim Pingle <lists () pingle ! org>
Date:       2012-08-08 11:21:11

On 8/8/2012 7:10 AM, Chris Bagnall wrote:
> In recent months I've done quite a few pfSense installs with 2.1. I've
> tended to simply download the latest snapshot as and when I've needed to
> image a new CF card (all our deployments are embedded).
>
> However, in recent days - especially after seeing a post on here last
> week about a couple of days' snapshots not completing properly - I've
> been thinking about whether this is the best approach.

The build process itself failing has zero to do with stability. That
usually just means something was tweaked (usually while trying to
improve stability/quality) and for one reason or another didn't compile
at first.

> How do others handle this? Do you pick a snapshot date that seems fairly
> stable and use that for all your deployments? Do you just use the latest
> one? To the developers: are there any specific snapshots you feel are
> more "stable" than others?

Due to the nature of snapshots, the latest one is almost always the best
one to use. The only way to know otherwise is to test them yourself or
listen for feedback from others.

Jim