List:       pfsense-discussion
Subject:    Re: [pfSense-discussion] Disk-based Backup
From:       Jim Pingle <lists () pingle ! org>
Date:       2011-06-08 18:50:40

On 6/8/2011 2:32 PM, Adam Thompson wrote:
> The main issue with using RAID instead of backups is that it doesn't
> protect against corruption, software bugs, or human error.  While there
> are some cases were restoring to last weekend's known-good state isnt'
> adequate or appropriate, those are few and far between.  OTOH, if a new
> RC build, for example, breaks the device driver for your ethernet port,
> RAID will faithfully make the new, useless configuration redundant.
>
> I run RAID at the moment, because the disks running pfSense are ancient
> and I expect them to die someday.  I would also like a scheduled backup
> to a tertiary system so that I can continue to function while I –
> someday – rebuild a new firewall.

True, which is why I mentioned both in my e-mail. Though thanks to
pfSense and its config.xml, that's really all you need to backup if you
need to reinstall. (for most cases, that is)

If you make periodic backups (or use AutoConfigBackup, or both), plus
RAID, it further reduces the risk.

If you want to avoid a bad snap, use /etc/rc.create_full_backup before
upgrading, and if it goes south but still boots, you can restore the
file it spits out with /etc/rc.restore_full_backup, reboot again, and be
back where you were.

Jim