List:       pfsense-discussion
Subject:    crazy ideas
From:       "alan walters" <alan () aillweecave ! ie>
Date:       2005-03-27 22:17:43

I have been following the pf sense program for awhile now
and am finding the developments very interesting and exciting.
over time i have used many open source projects and for the
first time it looks like i have found a project that is offering
some of the features that is have been missing.
the features that i am most interested in are the following
xml configuration  file
postfix forwarder
pureftpd local store
power dns
radius and ptpp support.
i runabout 20 small WISP's and these link back to a central server for AAA
into a ldap backend. I have been working on another open source project called
phamm http://phamm.rhx.it which has a postfix powerdns ldap management interface.
with plans for pure ftpd freeradius and apache modules. for our purposes
i can see a great potential synergy between these two projects for our purposes.
with stunnel intergration these could be a great distrubuted system.
i was wondering if anyne would think i possible to put th pfsense xml configuration \
file into an ldap server. changes could then be made to all pf boxes that a user ran \
and the data parsed via stunnel to the remote pfsense box. i know that pfsense is in \
early stages of development but i would love to here peoples thoughts on this idea. \
(1) storing the xml in an ldap backend (2) support for ldap backends for postfix, \
pureftpd, and powerdns. (3) a possible ldap slave
(4) radius ldap support
(5) stablility of stunnel
regards
alan walters