List:       perl6-internals
Subject:    Google Code-in
From:       Michael Hind <mike.hind () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-10-27 9:34:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi all,

It was decided at the #parrotsketch meeting yesterday that we would try and
put forward some proposals for Google Code-in 2010.

The proposal needs to be in by Friday apparently and I am trying to
co-ordinate these ideas so Jonathan Leto can present them.

1. What is Google Code-in?

Following on from the success of the Google Summer of
Code<http://code.google.com/soc>™
program, Google is holding a contest for pre-university students (e.g., high
school and secondary school students) with the aim of encouraging young
people to participate in open source. We will work with open source
organizations, each of whom will provide a list of tasks to be completed by
student contestants. Tasks can be anything a project needs help with, from
bug fixes to writing documentation to user experience research.
2. What are the goals of this contest?

Google Code-in (GCI) is intended to help students who may have wanted to get
involved in open source but didn't know where to start. By working through
the tasks suggested by organizations, contestants will be given the
opportunity to engage with the open source community and get involved. The
participating open source projects gain the benefit of additional
contributions to their project, often in important areas that may get
overlooked for whatever reason.

It is Google's not so secret hope that the student contestants of today will
be long-term contributors to these and other open source projects in the
future.
Tasks Tasks will typically fall into the following categories:

   1. Code: Tasks related to writing or refactoring code
   2. Documentation: Tasks related to creating/editing documents
   3. Outreach: Tasks related to community management and outreach/marketing

   4. Quality Assurance: Tasks related to testing and ensuring code is of
   high quality
   5. Research: Tasks related to studying a problem and recommending
   solutions
   6. Training: Tasks related to helping others learn more
   7. Translation: Tasks related to localization
   8. User Interface: Tasks related to user experience research or user
   interface design and interaction

A couple of ideas have already been proposed and I will place them on the
Trac Wiki at http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/GoogleCodeIn2010Tasks

I would very much appreciate it if could let me know of any ideas you have
on the subject, either by posting directly to the above link or replying to
this email.

Bear in mind that these tasks are aimed at High School/Secondary School
students in the 13 to 18 year old age group.

Cheers, Michael (mikehh)

--
Michael H. Hind

Cell: +44 (0) 7877 224 745