List:       perl6-internals
Subject:    Building on an installed Parrot (was: Re: Announce: Rakudo Perl 6
From:       "Timothy S. Nelson" <wayland () wayland ! id ! au>
Date:       2009-07-24 0:26:13

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Reini Urban wrote:

> Following up on the parrot-1.4.0 release check on cygwin the release errors are
> still not being touched.
>
> rakudo is still not being able to be built without a parrot build_dir.
> Building with installed parrot is unsupported, which means creating a
> package which is reproducible is
> impossible. Distros which do not have the policy to be reproducible to
> create binary packages from the src might have more luck.

 	Sounds like you're just the man we need.  There's a ticket that is
specifically dedicated to "Update configure script and makefiles for installed
Parrot".

 	http://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=63360

 	The latest patch (provided by me, but based on one by pmichaud) works
for me on Fedora 10.  pmichaud's patch is guaranteed *not* to work on Windows.
I made the obvious changes, but we need some testing from a Windows person.

 	I know there are a number of other problems on Windows (have you
opened a ticket(s) for them), but I'd ask you to keep them out of this ticket
unless they're related to the changes needed to build on an installed Parrot.

 	Also, the patch I provided is against HEAD.

$ git rev-parse HEAD
7b81c0590b4c371ba32f9998a35be5c48d6039e3

 	I'm informed that the command above tells me the relevant revision ID.

 	Thanks,

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: wayland@wayland.id.au    | I am                           |