List:       perl6-internals
Subject:    [perl #47011] [DEPRECATED] VTABLE entry 'new_from_string'
From:       "Will Coleda via RT" <parrotbug-followup () parrotcode ! org>
Date:       2007-11-29 3:42:45

On Mon Oct 29 11:11:03 2007, bernhard wrote:
> In pdd17_pmc.pod it is stated that 'new_from_string' is deprecated.
> The existing use of 'new_from_string' can probably be achieved with
> 'init' or
> 'set_string_native'.
>
> TODO:
> Hunt down existing use of 'new_i_s' and either replace or remove the
> functionality.
> The FixedIntegerArray is an example of where 'new_from_string' is used.

Given the usage in compilers/imcc/pbc.c:

    _class  = interp->vtables[r->pmc_type]->pmc_class;
    p       = VTABLE_new_from_string(interp, _class, s, PObj_constant_FLAG);

Is there a standard for passing the flags? In the old scheme, we had a specific argument to
pass in the flags... There are a lot of cases where we pass in flags here; Do we now have to
create a Hash PMC in each case? If it's a Hash, then we have to setup a convention to pass
the flags... but doing this just as a convention seems to be ripe for mistakes; Clues welcome
on how to proceed.