List:       perl5-porters
Subject:    Re: patch to Term::ReadLine::Gnu for bleadperl v5.7.0 (fix FILE    typemap)
From:       <nick () ing-simmons ! net>
Date:       2001-02-27 21:29:03

Hiroo Hayashi <hiroo.hayashi@computer.org> writes:
>Hi David, (and Perl5-Porters,)
>
>Thank you for your report.
>
>David> I just tested and installed the latest 5.7.0
>David>  rsync -auvz rsync://ftp.linux.activestate.com/perl-current/ perl-current
>
>David> and I needed to make the following patch to typemap
>
>I don't have 5.7.0 on my box, so I cannot check
>lib/5.7.0/Extutils/typemap file.  It seems that T_INOUT go away.

T_INOUT has not gone away. But T_INOUT has been (since perl5.003_02)
a typemap for a PerlIO *.

What has changed is that PerlIO * and FILE * are no longer the same thing.
We have been saying for years it would happen one day, now it has ;-)

There are two possible fixes in general:

A. Change to a typemap for FILE *.
B. Re-code the XS module to use PerlIO * API.

B is better if possible as it allows maximum use of perl5.7+ features,
but if C code XS is wrapping expects FILE * as arg, then A is the only
option.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons