List:       perl5-porters
Subject:    Re: v5.38.0 release branch now exists
From:       Tony Cook <tony () develop-help ! com>
Date:       2023-05-22 3:19:57

On Sat, May 20, 2023 at 01:18:17PM -0400, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> Porters,
>
> I have created draft #21108 <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/21108>, which \
> creates a v5.38.0 release branch, which will currently build as v5.38.0-RC0.
> There are more (small, I believe) known issues to review, but for now:
> • on my laptop, t/porting/libperl.t fails, undefined current object: op.o: at \
> porting/libperl.t line 254, <$nm_fh> line 2.

This probably isn't critical to fully fix, adding a line before the
die like:

      skip_all "Darwin needs a fix" if $^V < v5.39 && !defined $symbols->{o};;

should skip the test file on such systems while having it continue to
fail in future development releases.

To diagnose the problem, please run:

  ./perl porting/libperl.t

before the die you should see something like:

  # command: "/usr/bin/nm -m ../libperl.a"

It may not be exactly that, please run whatever that shows and capture
the output.  You will probably need to adjust the path to libperl.a.

Ideally open a new ticket with that output included.

Tony