List:       perl5-porters
Subject:    Re: please re-enable ticket traffic being sent to p5p
From:       "Christian Walde" <walde.christian () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-09-29 13:35:23

On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 15:17:59 +0200, Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 2:13 PM Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 6:45 AM Christian Walde <walde.christian@gmail.com> \
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > inspired by bulk88's email, and some irc conversation:
> > >
> > > p5p used to receive emails for ticket activity from RT
> > >
> > > then the repository was moved to github, including the tickets, and
> > > apparently as a non-challenged side effect of this, ticket updates
> > > being sent to p5p was never set up
> > >
> > > as such, there is conceptually no difference between doing the move
> > > and not setting up the updates, and disabling the updates from RT
> > >
> > > as such not setting up the updates should have a justification equally
> > > strong as the justification for disabling updates from RT
> > >
> > > i wasn't able to find any such justification in the p5p history, was
> > > it ever made?
> > >
> > > if not, please make it, or set up updates from the github ticketing
> > > system being sent to p5p again
> >

> > I think it would be appropriate for emails to be sent to the p5p list notifying \
> > when any new issue or PR is opened, at a minimum. I believe this could be \
> > accomplished using github actions:
> > https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/actions/reference/events-that-trigger-workflows#issues
> >  https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/actions/reference/events-that-trigger-workflows#pull_request
> >  https://github.com/marketplace/actions/send-email
>
> I think it would be appropriate too, but there may be some technical
> difficulties.  What happens when GitHub sends an e-mail to p5p and
> someone hits reply-to-all when replying?  I *think* what will happen
> is that if they have a GitHub account and if they are subscribed to
> p5p with the same e-mail address that is associated with the GitHub
> account, their message will be added to the comments on GitHub for the
> issue or PR. But if one or both of those if conditions is not met,
> they'll likely get a bounce message from GitHub even though the reply
> should still get to p5p.
>
> If it's possible to set up a GitHub workflow that sends e-mail with
> only p5p in the reply-to headers, that might solve part of the
> problem, but I don't know if that's possible.  I am not the keeper of
> the repo and have never used GitHub workflows, so maybe someone with
> experience of the latter could chime in and set us straight on what's
> possible.
>
> A workaround that might be acceptable to some people is simply
> following the repository on GitHub. It's a lot of traffic, though,
> because it's essentially the equivalent of perl5-changes plus the RT
> reflection to p5p.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd gotten some of these comments on IRC as well and they \
make sense. I'm thinking about setting up a repo and implement an action on it, then \
test what happens, and if that doesn't lead to ill effects, make a PR to implement it \
for the perl5 repo.

--
With regards,
Christian Walde