List:       perl5-porters
Subject:    [perl #116587] Dual-lifed version of Data::Dumper intermittently fails tests on 5.8.*
From:       "James E Keenan via RT" <perlbug-followup () perl ! org>
Date:       2013-01-31 0:43:06

https://github.com/tsee/Data-Dumper/commit/db957a7e#L4R1476
> > fails randomly (both pp and xs part) on any 5.8 perl (regardelss of what
> > version.pm is installed if any). While fixing this would be nice, it is
> > likely a bug in perl itself (otherwise the pp version would not be
failing
> > randomly). If this is the case I propose skipping the tests on $] <
5.009,
> > as v-string support was not available on D::Ds that shipped with
5.8, and
> > hence things like CPAN are unlikely to rely on it.
>
> I'm on board with this. Any objections?
>
> Jim, what's the status of your patches? I would hate to do this change
> just to cause a conflict for you!
>
> --Steffen

Steffen,

Could you either post here or mail me whatever patch you think is
necessary?  I made very few changes to t/dumper.t, so whatever changes
you propose will probably not interfere with my work.  Either I can
incorporate it into what we're smoking or ... whatever.  We'll figure it
out.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---