List:       perl5-porters
Subject:    Re: [ANNOUNCE] ExtUtils::MakeMaker 6.38
From:       "Craig A. Berry" <craig.a.berry () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-11-30 16:27:43

On Nov 29, 2007 5:47 PM, Michael G Schwern <schwern@pobox.com> wrote:
> Craig A. Berry wrote:
> > On Nov 28, 2007 6:04 PM, Michael G Schwern <schwern@pobox.com> wrote:
> >> 6.37_03 tested well.  Releasing it a 6.38.
> >> http://pobox.com/~schwern/src/ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.38.tar.gz
> >
> > Looks mostly good on VMS but for some reason in basic.t the YAML tests
> > get a space between the name and the colon, as below.  For now just a
> > report -- I'll try to dig into it later.
>
> That's really, really, really weird.  Especially because the META.yml line are
> generated in a couple of different ways and the file is read in by the test
> very simply without any muckery.

Looks like this has been this way a long time but never tested until
now.  Here's the debugger view of the smoking gun:

ExtUtils::MM_VMS::nicetext(/perl_root/lib/ExtUtils/MM_VMS.pm:1588):
1588:       $text =~ s/([^\s:])(:+\s)/$1 $2/gs;

which is called from here:

ExtUtils::MakeMaker::new(/perl_root/lib/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm:638):
638:                push @{$self->{RESULT}},
$self->nicetext($self->$method( %a ));

I think we do nicetext this way because the VMS make utilities need
whitespace between the target name and the dependencies, but it's
obviously treating the YAML keys the same as target names.  The lines
look like:

$(NOECHO) Write MMECHOFILE "name:                Big-Liar"

so we can probably fiddle with that regex and get it to leave things
alone when they are inside of double quotes.