List:       perl5-porters
Subject:    Re: dirname("/perl/") == ?
From:       Michael G Schwern <schwern () pobox ! com>
Date:       2005-06-30 20:28:40

I have found uses of dirname() that gives me pause about changing the
behavior.  People seem to use it as a sort of chop() for directories.

ExtUtils::MM_Unix uses it to infer the Perl source directory from entries
in @INC (which are all directories).

HTML::Mason::Component also appears to use it as a directory chop.

So I'm inclined to (alas) leave it as it is and just document the caveat
better.

PS  In my searching I also found this double no-op in Msql-Mysql-modules
amusing

               if (-f ($realfile = "$dir/$file")) {
                   return (File::Basename::dirname($realfile), $dir);
               }

--
Michael G Schwern     schwern@pobox.com     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
Ahh email, my old friend.  Do you know that revenge is a dish that is best