List:       perl5-porters
Subject:    Re: (macro) errors on 5.8.3 with new HP aCC compiler
From:       "H.Merijn Brand" <h.m.brand () hccnet ! nl>
Date:       2004-03-30 6:01:19

On Mon 29 Mar 2004 20:42, "Green, Paul" <Paul.Green@stratus.com> wrote:
> This is truly bizzare. The first step is to show us the results of macro
> expansion. There is no way to analyze the original line because it gets
> modified by the various macros in force.  I looked at the HP web reference

Though the first impression is right, the underlying problem is quite
different: The guy had installed multiple C compilers along side. Usually we
have separation of gcc and HP C-ANSI-C well covered (I use both), but in this
case, the user *also* had an (incomplete) port of aCC installed, which
interacted badly with HP C-ANSI-C (as to be expected)

> you gave, and he says that when he separately macro-expands then compiles
> the results, it works.  I smell a dead fish somewhere nearby. But somehow I
> don't think this is a perl problem.

It still might be! Look for example in hints/aix.sh where we jump through
hoops to determine if multiple C compilers are installed, and how to be sure
to use the correct one.

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.3, & 5.9.x, and 806 on  HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, 11i,